Table of Contents
To care for those who once cared for you is one of the highest honor. We realize that the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person. True care and loyalty make ourselves a pillar for their firm support. Our deep respect made us pick the best slippers for the elderly to prevent falls.
Researchers revealed that Americans aged 65+ fall per year. Every 11 seconds, an older adult is attended to in the emergency room for a fall. So dear along with extra care, suitable shoes for the elderly is very much essential.
The shoes must be friendly for the elderly, for keeping their feet firmly on the floor with style. The selection of proper shoes with ankle exercise can help a lot in preventing frequent falls.
Finding the right pair of shoes can challenge, but consultation and research can help in making the manageable decision. Here you can easily decide from what we advised for the purpose. Plus, it is well-advised to visit our collection of the best shoes for aging feet.
Things to Keep in Focus when Buying Best Slippers for Elderly
Size of Slippers
The most important thing to keep in focus while buying slippers for the elderly is to select a pair with the proper size. Too loose and too tight slippers can make you feel uncomfortable. To avoid such an uncomfortable situation, the well-sized slippers mean a lot. Too loose slippers will lead to frequent falls, while too tight shoes will cause pain and poor circulation of blood in the foot.
Slipper.Footwear Sizing Guide (Amazon) – Draw a straight line, longer than your foot, on a piece of paper. Place the paper on a flat surface. Stand on the line with your heel and longest toe centered on the line. If measuring a child’s foot, it may be easier to hold the paper up to their foot. Place a mark on the line at the tip of the longest toe and at the back of the heel. Repeat steps for the other foot. Measure the distance between the marks. Taking the larger of the two measurements, use the conversion chart to find your correct shoe size.
It is necessary to make sure that the heel of your slipper is supportive or not. Without a supportive heel, there are usually falls observed among people. This support in slippers prevents feet from losing balance and unexpected falls.
You must go for a thick, sturdy sole to give support to the mid-part of your foot. There is a need to avoid thin soles which will reduce stability while walking, and the thinner soles wear out quickly.
The size of the feet changes gradually, so there is a need to secure them at all. Velcro slippers are very helpful and adjustable to keep your feet secure. The adjustable slippers for the elderly are the best slippers to prevent falls in the elderly.
Comfortable slippers can help you spend your entire day in them with no difficulty. Comfy shoes with breathable material can reduce sweating and relax your feet.
Slip Resistant Slippers
Slip-resistant slippers can keep you feeling protected by matching some safety standards. Slip-resistant slippers for the elderly make great work if you need a secure fit.
Buy Best Slippers For elderly to prevent falls
As we get older our feet don’t grow in length but they get wider and spread out. It’s because of lifetime activities that carry our weight. So, to tackle this issue we need shoes or slippers for our wider feet.
Our profound driving through key features, pros, and cons of the shoe’s world, represents best slippers for elders which would glitter their life with comfort. What we extract as a final advice from each review based on users and experts plus deep search reveals the vital tips and instructions for the shoe. Have a look to pick your desirable shoe confidently.
1: UGG Tasman Slippers for Women- Adjustable slippers for elderly
UGG lighted in 1978 (Australia) and in 1980 the UGG brand had gone well with a symbol of relaxed southern California culture. Now gain fame worldwide as per its evolving from boots and slippers to stylish luxuries.
- Lined with plush natural wool
- An imported shoe with Suede upper
- Artificially dyed and treated
- light, durable UGGpure™ wool insole
- Treadlite by UGG™ outsole
- Shaft measures approximately low-top from arch
- Nylon binding
- crafted from soft suede with an embroidered braid and easy slip-on silhouette
- Carry genuine fur from sheep or lamb.
- Fur may be obtained from Australia, Ireland, the United Kingdom, or the United States.
Final Advice Must Read
Baa baa black or white sheep wool creates a feeling of cozy and comfort. We found that more than 80% of users are very glad and all the way satisfied with this slipper mainly because of its durability, long age, and comforts. Although pricey it is but will not disappoint you. Enjoy it for both indoor and outdoor, winter, fall, and spring but not recommended for summer. It is advised to spray them with leather and suede protectors before trying these for the first time.
2: HAFLINGER Unisex AT Wool Hard Sole Slippers
Commenced from 50 years ago Haflinger is now famous for boiled wool (a natural insulator which keeps your feet cool in the summer and warm in the winter) slippers. The brand is highly welcomed in the international market including the US market because of superb quality and workmanship. These shoes make you feel like it just belongs on your feet and hugs your feet like a thick sock.
The under reviewed shoe’s prominent features are
- Upper is made up of 100% boiled virgin wool while wool-like feelings from insoles.
- Latex molded Arch Support provides easiness to walk over distances that are actually latex molded. Arch support makes them more reliable to wear
- Moisture Absorbing Wool inside these slippers is quite helpful for absorbing moisture to keep feet climate adjustable and relaxing.
- Breathable wool slippers keep feet pleasantly dry & keep them ventilated all the time.
- Prevents Heel Pain and plantar fasciitis and make you more comfortable for any kind of walk or place.
Final Advice Must Read
Dears! It is only for indoor use while using outside is considered as overuse, resulting in damage within days.
It is machine washable using warm water on a gentle cycle for 5 minutes. Don’t use chemicals but mild detergents.
Initially, slippers may feel tied and rubbing but after 24-hour use, these will be desirable.
Besides of its some drawbacks, almost all users consider these slip-on sleeper best for arch support and plantar fasciitis. According to many users, it reminds them of walking on a new thick, luxurious carpet.
3: Orthofeet Proven Plantar Fasciitis Pain Relief Arch Support Orthopedic Men’s Leather best Slippers for elderly Asheville
This comfy show by ORTHOFEET launched in 1984 amazingly emerged from two striving minds, a biomedical engineer and mechanical engineer, both were qualified from the same institute. So, the fruition of their creation is definitely superb.
- A hook and loop strap to customize the fit and makes foot insertion a breeze
- The wide design, added depth, and round toe box afford a pressure-free fit and works well for swollen feet.
- The Ortho-CushionTM System helps propel the foot forward by adding spring to each step for a “Walking on a cloud” experience.
- Don’t get worried if the shoes are too loose, have a snugger fit using the removable spacers that are provided with the shoes (1/16″ and 1/8″ thick).
- An Ergonomic-Stride sole promotes foot motion, gives support, plus ease the pain on the heel, bunions, arthritis, ball of the foot, knees, hips, and back caused by flat feet, plantar fasciitis,
- Premium orthotic insoles, highlighting anatomical arch comfort with cushioning layers, insoles are “fur-lined” and removable., and ease stress and pain of foot and leg.
- Innovative Ortho-CushionTM System with the premium orthotic insole gives anatomical arch relief and cushioning even inside the house.
Final Advice Must Read
We found that these shoes are highly prescribed by doctors, because of:
- Fruitful for elders with tender feet, including those with foot pain, diabetes, and arthritis.
- These shoes are planned with unique ergonomic characteristics that are rare in other brands.
Shoe’s main material is suede (leather with the flesh side rubbed to make a velvety nap), a high-quality product with softness and flexibility that is so valued.
With foot pain don’t walk barefoot, even in the home, and this very slipper is best to use in and around the house. In short, if you desire a slipper to wear around the house, mainly for foot support then these shoes are highly recommended.
4: Men’s Cozy Memory Foam Slippers with Fuzzy Plush Wool Like Lining, Slip-on Clog House Shoes
ULTRAIDEAS’s mostly slipper products are valuable and are created from microfiber for walking around the house, up and down stairs but minimal outdoor use. Here we have mentioned some of the important features of these slip-resistant slippers for the elderly
- Interior fleece lining and high-density memory foam keep your feet warm but as the slipper is made of a breathable knit so helps to avoid overly warm.
- lined with high-density padded foam that easily molds feet and keeps them level.
- The rubber outsole has anti-slip safety, also lightweight, flexible and quite
- The best slip-resistant slippers to prevent falls are waterproof too. It will keep you safe while walking over slippery places by providing you with the most adjustable walk.
- They come in four sizes and five colors.
Final Advice Must Read
Due to the wool-like upper and the cushioning, it may need a little time to break-in, and the company recommends ordering one size up if you wear a half size.
These slippers fit small, so you should be careful about your size at the time of ordering.
Quality is a little bit disappointing but yes according to price. Goody is, it is easy to mend and wash. Wash it using a gentle cycle with cold water. while for an accurate way to wash shoes, please visit our guide How to wash stinky shoes
5: Acorn Women’s Spa Wrap-Best adjustable best slippers for elderly to prevent falls
Over 40 years ago the founder started from hand sewing footwear, gradually leading to a product, now considered as the best sneaker for the elderly to prevent falls.
Still stuck to primal devotion to comfort and quality, the company makes Acorns suitable for indoors and out, fireplace and fire pit, couch, and a hammock for feet of all sizes, As Acorn has an amazing spa collection, we get this sneaker out of them to review.
- This ultra-premium thick and multilayer memory foam slippers are perfect to fit in your feet to give you the comfiest walk.
- Rubber sole & 100% terry are the best slippers for the elderly to prevent falls. The important features make it more demanding.
- Enjoy marshmallow-like cushion, calms down the entire foot plus lessen muscle fatigue while soothing pain and pressure.
- Adjustable Slippers with Flexibility in design and adjustable strap to fit in your sweet feet, come with 6 catchy colors.
- Orthopedic and Healing Support with sure swollen feet relaxation
- Open-toed or closed, superb quality sneaker surrounds your feet in total comfort.
- The insole is made up of multi-layered cushion foam with lots of flexibility to contour the footbed.
Final Advice Must Read
This shoe offers Orthopedic and healing support with sure swollen feet relaxation.
Users didn’t get panic while sizing, as the elastic in the back and the Velcro strap does help with some adjustments.
We found that people with both wide and narrow feet are quite satisfied with it.
These are highly suitable for patients suffering from diabetes and for pregnant women with aching feet. Plantar fasciitis, cracked heels, flatfoot, splayfoot, and Talipes Valgus.
It can be used for any occasion and indoor or outdoor, like in institutes, homes, or hospitals.
6: Homitem: Women’s Slip-on Knit Slippers Memory Foam Slippers Fuzzy wool-like Plush Fleece Lined House Shoes
Another slipper appeared as a result of elegant craftsmanship and liked by many, which offers a stylish look without making feet sweat.
- lined with high-density padded memory foam for support and shock absorption
- The upper line knitted breathable texture along with a comfy plush fleece lining for extra comfortable and warm in winters.
- Anti-skid bottom texture for a safe and soothing walk, avoiding any scratches on the floor.
- The thicker and elastic soles prevent them from breaking after being folded or molded. The soft sole reduces noise production.
- The waterproof rubber soles to prevent falls
Final Advice Must Read
Suitable for any occasion and for both indoor and outdoor, in which your feet will never sweat. You will feel safe even on wet tiles.
For this accepted slip on slipper, users found it highly suitable for narrow feet with nice arch support.
Because of high quality, it is easy to repair and wash, for it better to use a laundry bag that will clean up all its dirt and stains.
If you wear a half-size or plan to wear socks, get the next size up. If you have wide feet, recommend the next size. We noticed that many people with wide feet were not relaxing with it.
7: Vionic- Women’s Adilyn Slipper- Ladies Adjustable and Orthotic Arch Support best slippers for elderly
The story of Vionic states “from 1979 Vionic’s mission began with the work of renowned podiatrist Phillip Vasyli. A pioneer and innovator in the field of lower‑limb biomechanics, Vasyli treated thousands of patients, ranging from young children to amateur and professional athletes, making orthotic treatment more affordable and accessible to people in need of pain relief.”
The rubber sole slippers provide immense support to your feet and adjustable enough to prevent falls.
VIO Motion Support enhances comfy and more confident gait.
The adjustability provides much support to feet for moving at any place any time.
The orthotic design makes them more reliable for the elderly to prevent falls and for supporting the arch.
Received APMA (American Podiatric Medical Association) Seal of Acceptance.
(The “APMA Seal of Acceptance Program” recognizes products that have been found beneficial to foot health and of significant value.)
Final Advice Must Read
Our deep search says yes for its assistance for plantar fasciitis. The rubber sole provides immense support to your feet and is adjustable enough to prevent falls in the elderly. The sole is a little bit hard (not noisy) so this slipper is suitable for outside as well. The toe box is roomy and comfortable so highly recommended for wide feet.
Due to nice padding and cushion, you can easily mold your foot.
Highly recommended for any occasion, either casual or any dress active event.
These are going to be your favorite slippers because they are actually comfortable to any extent.
While walking in the house or outdoors, the soft and supportive nature of these slippers keeps your feet warmer in winters making them your favorite slippers to wear.
Better not to wash in water instead of good to spray occasionally with disinfectant and air dry.
Damages caused by the wrong type of footwear
- Damage to toenails and toes by compressing them together and causing bunions.
- More stress on the knees and hips can cause by tilting weight in a forward direction.
- Enhanced risk of osteoarthritis.
- Pain and muscle cramps.
- Losing balance and fallings can be increased by improper slippers.
Slippers that you shouldn’t wear
- Loose and worn-out slippers flop around and usually fail to provide stability to prevent falls.
- Some slip on slippers do not provide snug while the comfy fit is needed to prevent falls.
- Slippers that are backless can slip off easily
- Slippery soles of shoes can lead to frequent falls
- High heels of shoes can also disrupt the balance walk.
- Flip flops give zero stability.
- Ankle roll can occur due to narrow heel and instead of preventing falls, lead to more falls.
- Extra thicker soles of shoes make your walk even more nonadjustable.
Falls are the major cause of injuries to the elderly, causing over 800,000 hospitalizations, most of which include injuries to the head or hip. Here not just the slippers suggestions, a complete guide to identify the feature of best slippers for the elderly to prevent falls is also mentioned. Both men and women care and demand extra attention, So keeping all in focus, buy confidently the shoes we advised.
Frequent Asked Q/A
Q: What exactly is microfiber?
A: Microfiber (or microfibre) is synthetic fiber finer than one denier or decitex/thread, having a diameter of fewer than ten micrometers. This is smaller than the diameter of a strand of silk (which is approximately one denier), which is itself about 1/5 the diameter of a human hair.
Q2: How shoes affect your feet?
Wearing the wrong shoe can worsen existing problems such as pain or arthritis in your hips, knees, ankles, or feet. Even a short use of wrong shoes can cause strain and pain to your bones and joints, and the soft tissues that support them.
Q3: Why Comfortable shoes are important?
A: Using uncomfortable shoes has some impacts on physical and mental health. Wearing uncomfortable shoes can lead to the shortening of the muscle fiber sheet. Our energy needed for a routine job get highly disturbed. Our feet act as cushions that protect the bones from knocks, and that’s why we should take care of them.
Q4: What causes your feet to burn?
A: While weakness or skin infection can cause temporary burning or inflamed feet, burning feet are most often a symptom of nerve damage (peripheral neuropathy). Nerve damage has many different causes, including diabetes, chronic alcohol practice, exposure to some toxins, certain B vitamin deficiencies, or HIV infection.
Q7: Is it right to drive in slippers?
A: It is usually not recommended to wear slippers during the drive. Even if they are safe on your feet. If anything were to happen to your car and you had to walk or be outdoors for any length of time – the slippers on your feet may not be the best type of shoe to wear in that instance.